My Passion

So, my passion is to create pieces of choreography/art that people can either relate to, or to make them understand my feelings or thoughts of an experience I have been through. I find choreography a good way to let out how I feel. Whether I find a song that I can relate to and create specific movements, that make sense to how I feel. Or it could be that I’m just in a good mood and want to find a song that matches that, and choreograph to it. As teaching is my main job to support me financially, along with some commercial work, I teach many classes per week, which means I have to do lots of choreography. I think this sometimes restricts my creativity as I sometimes really want to take my time on a piece of choreography, so that I fully get across how I feel and push my creativity to the maximum.

Before I start teaching my choreography I usually explain to the people in my class, a little bit of what was going through my mind before I begin to teach anything. I never usually say too much because the dance to me is usually personal, but it helps the dancers to understand how I’m feeling, which they can portray in the movements and performance. Behind all my movements, there is a reason why I choreographed them, so I also like to explain this as well whilst teaching, to again further their understanding of the dance. After I have taught the dance It’s nice for me to watch the dancers and see how they perform it. I find that usually people can relate to the dance I created, which is comforting to know that other people have also been through a similar situation or feeling. Often after the class people message me or stop me somewhere and tell how they can relate to my choreography. This means a lot to me, as at the end of the day, we’re all human and we all go though the same situations or feel the same emotions as each other, but sometimes it’s hard to express them or talk about them. I see dance a perfect way to tell the world something by saying nothing.

*Feedback would be much appreciated*

Comments

  1. Are there any dance professionals - either in your training or from research - that influence the way you work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paula, yes there's lots, I'm going to up load some videos and wrtie more about them in this blog eventually..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the sound of your work Liam. It is similar to what I would like to tap into, but I don't seem to be working in the right circles to offer this kind of project or class. They would look at me strangely and probably not come back after one class...or would they?! I find it difficult to advertise the whole genre of "creative dance". How have you found it? A battle? Easy? I would love to find out more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jo, thanks..

      No not at all the dancers where I teach are very appreciative..
      I always think it depends on what kind of people you have got in your class… People who usually want to learn “creative dance” are usually Choreographers or people who are currently taking an exam where they have create a dance or piece of art, people who are more serious about dance, rather than people who just want to take the class as a hobby. So I think you would be best reaching out for people who are taking dance as a subject through choice, either in Colleges, Universities or Dance Schools etc. Getting people to take part in a class is never easy but I find that if I try and build a good vibe in class and make sure everyone is having a fun time whilst learning something then it helps, cater for the serious dancers and the people who are dancing as a hobby..

      Delete
  4. Hi Liam, Its great to read your thoughts about your own creative process - this can be so hard to write down. You have a great talent to express and work through your own emotions which is beneficial for both you, your dancers and your audience. It is interesting that you don't tell your dancers everything about your process, or the emotion behind every movement and I wonder therefore how much each dancer connects with your movement on a more personal level and interprets the emotion you convey on a more intimate level. I would be keen to see how your dancers and audience connect with your work without any discussion about your own inspiration or motivation. You might explore this even further within your own choreography and through your teaching to help your students generate and realise inner impulses. Creativity, afterall is an essential component of the human experience. Creativity, once experienced, is the living abyss where intellectual conclusions literally cease to be important, and where reality reveals its most vividly sustaining expressions. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. Very exciting work Liam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment,
      This has actually opened my mind a lot and I was wondering, when working with a group of dancers on a piece of my choreography, what if I did tell them everything I was feeling and explained my whole situation to them, would I get more out of them as performers?
      I remember once telling a group of close friends before I taught them a routine why exactly I created it before they performed it, only because when they were performing it at first in the studio I didn’t feel they were getting the message of the dance across strong enough. Everyone got quite upset in that class :/ .. So not really done it since haha..
      But maybe I should try that again just in a regular class..?
      I really like your idea of not saying anything to the dancers and just see who connects understands with the movements I’ve created naturally. This is something I will definitely look into..
      Thanks again  x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4c. Questions - Developed